Mondoo and I like each other very much, so you may have been surprised to read about our differences on candy corn and vampires. Worry not though, these things (surprisingly) do not get in the way of our friendship, so also do not despair over the recently uncovered disagreement between us on country music. Almost all of my feelings on country music fall under the “Love” category. Maybe it’s because I grew up here where country music is kind of a big deal, but I love cheesy new country (Carrie Underwood, Jo Dee Messina) and classic old country (Jerry Jeff Walker, Lucinda Williams) and even new old country (Freakwater, the Everybodyfields). I also think cowboy boots are really cute. I do not own a pair but I hope to someday.
Two things today brought about this urge to express my love for country. The second one was a Drive By Truckers concert I went to with my dad tonight. We sat in box seats (a first for me) like Statler and Waldorf looking disapprovingly over all the mightily bearded fans with my dad reminiscing about all the cool concerts he went to when back when he had long hair and fought The Man. The show was fantastic and it reignited my appreciation for southern rock.
The first thing was an interview with Dolly Parton in the OK Magazine that magically appeared on my coffee table this morning. During the show tonight I was thinking about that interview and all the other things I’ve heard and read about Dolly that make me love her and I came up with a pretty good list. Here is that list.
– She gets her acrylic painted on the outside and inside of her nails to make them like guitar picks. How hardcore is that?
– When she was little her parents use to point to the town floozy and call her “trash,” but Dolly Parton thought all that makeup and sassiness was so fabulous that she though “trash” was a good thing and went around telling people she wanted to be trash.
– She says “It costs a lot to look this cheap.”
– She sneaks her dog into Motel 6.
– Dollywood is the largest employer in Tennessee.
– 9 to 5, I Will Always Love You, and Jolene are great songs, and she writes her own stuff.
– 9 to 5: a great movie too.
– Dolly the Sheep was named after her.
– She gives a ton of her money away for causes like child literacy and saving bald eagles
– She once tried to polish the toenails of her statue.