Aw, did you miss 141characters’ first live blog event last night? Never fear! If you’d like to read the hilarity, just locate the post “Live Blog: Red Carpet & The Grammy Awards,” click on the link, and read the replay. If you don’t want to or don’t have time, shame on you. But it’s ok. I’ve posted some of my thoughts on the Grammy Awards below.
A special thank you to everyone who read along, especially those who joined in as commentators: Beefer, Mrs. Zack Morris, Mrs. William Guerin, and CQ. We hope to have more contributors at future live blog events, just join in! Your next chance is this coming Sunday, February 7 for the Super Bowl at 6pm on CBS.
– Lady Gaga, Not Pleased… or Pleasing. Although Lady Gaga did receive some awards last night, she was not awarded any that were actually allowed to be presented during the on-air awards show. Maybe that’s why she looked so unhappy. As Beefer pointed out to me this morning, she has spent her whole career acting and dressing like some sort of weirdo and she wasn’t even publicly acknowledged for it last night. What a buzzkill for her. And you know what was a buzzkill for us? Her performance with Elton John. Maybe we were supposed to get excited, I dunno but a Gaga and Elton combination seemed really obvious to me, like a crazy peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And let’s talk about her solar system outfit. I dunno about you but I expected something a little more outlandish. I mean really, you can’t wear lace masks and a bunch of stuffed Kermits all the time and then just show up at an awards show wearing the galaxy. Yawn.
– Where was Britney? She showed up on the red carpet just in time to miss an awkward encounter with Ryan Seacrest and then the producers of the Grammys thought it best not to show her during the awards show because she showed up dressed like this. Thank you, producers.
– Prop FAIL. No one told those of us at home that Michael Jackson’s tribute required 3D glasses. A lesson for all of us: keep 3D glasses on hand because you just never know when you’re gonna need them.
– The Grammy Performance Awards. If you tuned in last night to see awards and acceptance speeches, then you must have been disappointed because the Grammys focused solely on the music. There were performances from all kinds of people Beyonce, Pink, Lady Gaga, Lady Antebellum (who? Who cares!), etc. I’m sure that many people would argue that Bon Jovi or the Michael Jackson tribute ranked up there as the top performances of the evening. I got news for you, Michael Jackson died seven months ago and although that song was beautiful and star-studded, kinda a snooze fest. And as for Bon Jovi, only people from Jersey ranked that as number one. Mondoo’s pick for performance of the evening: Jamie Foxx and T-Pain. I was totally not expecting T-Pain to emerge as the mysterious dancing Santa maestro. I thought maybe he’d arrive on a boat (A surprise to Mondoo: The Lonely Island was nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. Sadly they lost out to Run This Town.)
– Goblin Swift. Taylor Swift won too many awards last night. I really hope that she’s done making music for a while because I’m truly sick of her “Ah, oh my goodness. I’m so surprised!” acceptance speeches. I honestly don’t know what sets her apart from any other teenage girl with a guitar and a diary but she is continually being awarded undeserving accolades. SO. OVER. HER.
– The Archives. I’m not sure why our Grammy live blog conversation turned to talking about Syzzurp but it did and I was reminded of this awesome song from 2002 and that’s what I’ll leave you with today:
(For a complete list of Grammy Award winners, click here.)